Tuesday, September 21, 2010

What about kids with sticks!?!?

So, the question has been raised... what about kids and sticks?  If the children are at age appropriateness and can recognize spatial awareness and demonstrate motor control for the usage of any long handled implement, I say go for it! I do suspect that such a decision would be situational for some classes - depending on evaluation of the kids and their behaviors. I might be wary of younger children (about pre-K and K) with things like baseball bats, hockey sticks, lacrosse sticks, or even rackets. As the children got older (maybe 1st and 2nd grade) I would be apt to allow skill acquisition and play with these long-handled implements if they respected the equipment and those around them. Throughout the years I would love to allow more exposure to these implements and encourage skill refinement.

No comments:

Post a Comment